Friday, February 19, 2010

Vacationing in the D

I convinced Kent to take yesterday and today off and planned for us to spend a day downtown. We occasionally go to Detroit but not as much as we could. The city really is interesting and has a lot to offer. I used Yelp to help me plan the day and we hit a bunch of places neither of us had been.

We started the morning off at Avalon International Breads which truly was as wonderful as all of the reviews stated! It's a small place, but jam packed filled with wonderful sights and smells. The best part is that I learned that it is about 5 minutes away from CCS! I can go there and grab lunch or baked goodies before or after class, pretty exciting.


After that we went to Eastern Market, but we only went into one store. I'm gonna have to go back with a more willing and interested shopper.

From there I dropped K off at the DIA and I went to teach. I picked him up a few hours later and we headed to Motor City Brewing where he enjoyed the Pale Ale and I enjoyed a glass (or two) of a Michigan Pinot Grigio. Food was good. It's a small place, but I'd definitely recommend it. Friendly staff.

I had also plotted to check out Foran's Grand Trunk Pub, which I also learned about on Yelp. K enjoyed the fact that they had sooooo many Michigan beers. We had a delightful conversation with a gentleman who was a regular (a lawyer that worked just around the corner) who came in for one rum and coke and a small bowl of potato chips - I assume every day. I have a feeling that K will return there with a friend to enjoy more Michigan beer adventures.

We decided to head home and park ourselves in front of the Olympics for the rest of the evening. I was able to stay awake and enjoy the US take Gold in the Men's skating and K was out like a light.

All and all it was a great day. It has made me realize that we need to do more exploring in our own area and to frequent the D more often.

1 comment:

Tell me what you think...