Monday, January 17, 2011

It's the small things

Three things to celebrate on this sunny winter Monday.

1) I lost another pound
2) Realized today we did not eat out once last week
3) This awesome yummy "soup" that totally makes me warm and fuzzy

You don't need an official recipe do you? No? Good! Here is how it is made.

Take 4-6 strips of bacon and cut them into pieces. Fry them in a pan (I use my dutch oven) until brown. Remove the bacon, set aside and discard all but about 1T of the bacon grease. Saute 1/2 and onion and some garlic in the pan. Toss in about 2 cups of baby spinach and saute until wilted. Add chicken broth (2-3 cups depending on how brothy you want it), about 2T of ketchup, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste. Stir while this simmers, getting all the good yummy bits off the bottom of the pan. Add in a can of diced tomatoes (the garlic flavored ones work well) and beans (I use 3 kinds, cannellini, dark kidney and light kidney). Let this simmer to perfection.

This is such a great meal to make at the beginning of the week so that you have leftovers for lunch &/or to share. I add a little cheese on top, Parmesan is really delish. My biggest challenge right now is to forgo the crusty bread that I would so love to dip into this. Ahhhh, bread.

Oh, and if you DO need an official recipe check out the back of the Bush's Cannellini bean can. It's called Cannellini Florentine. Or click here for the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...